February 7, 2015

Icebox480

ICEBOX480



This was the final race of 2014 and I considered this to be a "bonus" race as it was not part of the Upper Midwest Trail Runners Trail Series. This was the second year running this event. 8 hours of running on Whitetail Ridge Bike Trail in River Falls, MN. I have a love/hate relationship with this trail. The course was expanded this year to a 7 mile loop from the 10K loop of last year. This is maintained by a off road bike club and they have done an excellent job both creating and maintaining the single track trail.

My goal for the day? Run a new to me distance of 35 miles without pain. Last years race involved several loops of outside knee pain and I was not very happy when I was done. Last year's goal had been 50k and I completed that but with much pain. So with 7 mile loops my goal was to be able to start that 5th loop by the 2 pm cutoff time.

Refueling at the Break the Stigma Aid Station

With Julio, founder of Break the Stigma Project

Photo Credit: Todd Rowe, I believe this was at the main aid station
The first three loops felt great. The fourth loop however was where I hit my wall without recognizing that it was happening. When I ran past the Break the Stigma aid station at about 4 miles into the loop I was questioning my sanity and why in the world I thought I liked to run long distances. I was so mired in these thoughts that I did not recognize that I was hitting the wall. As I ran past Julio and the other volunteers all I could say was that I was no longer having fun! I had huge doubts as to whether I could manage a 5th loop and at that point I did not even want to.

I came into the first aid station around 1:40 or so. I had plenty of time to refuel and head back out. I questioned the race director should I go? What if I did not make it to the finish line by the 8 hour cutoff? Would any of that loop be counted. I was told no. None of that loop would be counted. Now what? After wasting time trying to decide I finally thought, "what do I have to lose". Even if I don't make it I will still know that I completed the distance just not in the allotted time. I threw caution to the wind and headed out on loop #5.

I obviously broke through the wall because all of a sudden running did not feel so bad anymore and I started having fun again. (well as much fun as you can from miles 28-35!). I was actually running faster and I started to close the gap with another gal that I had been behind for awhile. This was a runner that I had also been running near at last years race.

I believe I caught up with her about two miles out from the finish and we decided to run each other in. I was running behind her and after the race was finished I wondered to myself if I should have asked to pass her. I just might have run slightly faster were I in front. I finished the 35 miles under the cutoff. My time on the Garmin was 7:52:01. (You can see my Garmin info HERE) I had achieved my goal of a new distance beyond the 50k. 35 miles and done in less than 8 hours!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Anna turns 36! Fun Triathlon

Saturday, July 28, 2018 Perch Lake Hudson, WI My First (sort of) Triathlon So I thought I needed to try something different today...