August 21, 2016

Afton Sunset/Full Moon Group Run



Saturday, August 20, 2016

What: Group trail run at Afton State Park. Sun sets at 8:10 pm so we can catch the sunset and get some night running in. Remember to bring your headlamp! This is a self supported run. One loop is 25k but opportunities to cut that short if you prefer. We will meet at the visitors center parking lot. Invite your friends! Great training opportunity for Superior or other fall running races.

I enjoy putting together group runs and have come to enjoy the Full Moon Group Run's out at Afton State Park. So with Voyageur race completed and summer coming to an end I thought I better get a Full Moon run on the calendar in August before a busy season of fall running races. The full moon was middle of the week so I chose August 20th as a good weekend to hold the run. I guess I should have named it the Sunset/Waning Moon run.

We had a lot of rain in the week proceeding the run and it was predicted to rain most of the day on Saturday as well. There were several downpours near my home and I knew the trails would be wet and muddy.  This does not stop us trail runners though. I mentioned to a few runners in passing that they would not cancel Superior Fall races for rain right so why should we?

I arrived at the Afton visitor around 6:35. I wanted to get there a little early for when others started to show up. I drove through a downpour but when looking to the west I saw blue sky and big fluffy clouds. I knew it would not be raining for long. Within minutes of pulling into the parking lot the skies let loose. I grabbed my umbrella and ran to the visitor center to use the facilities. By the time I walked out of the visitor center the rain had already stopped.

There were discussions on the event page of some groups of folks meeting early to get some miles in before we met up at 7 pm. They got stuck in that downpour!

The cars started pulling in. And it was looking like the crowd would be large for this run. A little bit of rain and mud won't stop this crew from putting in some miles at Afton in the dark.
The group + Robyn Reed taking the photo. Group was too big to take as a selfie!
 I asked everyone if they had brought their headlamps and told everyone the plan was to run the Afton Trail Race loop. Then pretty much told everyone they were on their own. If you don't know Afton find someone around you that does. There were plenty of runners very familiar with the loop. Pick your pace. I would be running in the back with the back of the pack. Turns out I really was the back of the pack with little to no effort on my part. Someone shouted "Go" and we were off. The front runners showed themselves immediately and I hung out at the back of the pack.

The trails were greasy and muddy so the going was slow but the temps were perfect for a night run. Maybe this should become the 1st Annual Afton Sunset/Full Moon run held every August? Perfect timing for some training for Superior and always a good time.

Here are a few pictures taken by others to enjoy.

Photo Credit: Robyn Reed
Photo Credit: Robyn Reed
Photo Credit: Robyn Reed
Photo Credit: Rose Ryan
Photo Credit: Rose Ryan
Not sure who took this photo! lol
Photo Credit: Robyn Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anna turns 36! Fun Triathlon

Saturday, July 28, 2018 Perch Lake Hudson, WI My First (sort of) Triathlon So I thought I needed to try something different today...