April 26, 2015

Zumbro Pacing



This year instead of running Zumbro as part of my racing schedule I decided to pace a 100 mile runner. I had considered registering for the 50 mile race but with the race so early in the season I was hesitant to commit to that so running 2 loops as a pacer gave the opportunity to run farther than the 17 miles I did last year.

I arrived at Zumbro River Bottoms at around 4:30 after leaving work about 2 hours early and thought I might see my runner coming in after her second loop but I missed her by about 15 minutes. I hung out at the race start by the fire chatting with many trail running friends to unwind some before heading back to the minivan to try to sleep. It is difficult going to bed that early but imperative to get some sleep before starting to run around 2 am.

I went to the minivan to catch some zz's and set my alarm for 8:30 planning to head back out to the start to see my runner finishing up her third loop. She had another pacer planned for her fourth loop which left me with pacing the 5th and 6th loop with her. There was some confusion at first when her "coach" told me that he and his girlfriend were running two loops with her. I was surprised as our initial plan was for me to run the final two loops. I had to remember that this race was not about me and indicated that I had planned on running those final two loops but that it was ultimately up to Janet as to what she wanted. Mike, her husband and excellent crew, decided that I would take the 5th and 6th loop and the other two could split the 4th loop. This was excellent news for me as I really wanted to run those two loops. This was something I had been looking forward to do doing (and was training for to be ready) since about January when Janet and I connected and agreed to have me pace her.

After seeing Janet and her pacer's off on their 4th loop I hung out at the fire for a short while and then headed back to my bed in the minivan for another cat nap. I am liking the "car" sleeping set up I have going in the minivan. Both of the back seats are removed and I lay out two cushioned pads with my sleeping bag and pillow. It is almost just as comfortable as my bed at home. Well maybe not that comfortable!

This time trying to get to sleep was more difficult. I set the alarm for 1:30. Getting back to sleep took longer knowing I had to be up again in a matter of hours. I also kept hearing car doors slamming for what seemed like constantly. It felt like a musical of door slamming! I was getting quite angry thinking why in the world is everyone slamming their car doors! I know it was not as many as I thought but when you are trying to sleep it sure felt like it.

Eventually the alarm rang and I got up and started getting ready for many hours on the trail. It was dark, of course, and I headed out to the fire to wait. The wait was longer than I expected as she came in about 3 am. Not much time is spent at aid stations as it is better to keep moving at all times. Way too tempting to not get moving again if too much time is spent in the aid stations. We were off around 3 am. We were mostly walking at this point as Janet had already completed 67 miles when I started out with her. The trails were muddy on the first loop but were in quite good shape even then. Only a few spots of needing to go through the mud. I know Janet's shoes were wet and muddy but mine stayed relatively dry or dried out quickly when they got a little wet.

Our pace was around 21 minute miles or so. Janet was moving very well for what she had already completed up to this point. I did most of the talking and hoped that I did not talk too much. I definitely had more energy at that point. I guess that is the point of pacing, hey? To be able to run with someone that is alert, awake and running(or walking) with fresh legs. I hear the night hours are the slowest and often a 100 milers lowest point. Once the sun comes up they seem to get energized once again.

My goal was to keep Janet moving and not hold her up at aid stations as I know she liked to get in and out of aid stations quickly.

We watched the sunrise during that 5th loop and arrived back at the start/finish line aid station in about 6:25 hours. I hurriedly changed out clothing as I knew it would be warmer on this second loop. I decided to change my shoes but regretted this decision as my toes seem to hurt in my new pair of Altra's. I ended up asking Mike if he would get my shoes that I had been wearing to change back, which he did. I was able to change back at aid station 2 I think.

We continued on and were moving at a very fast power hike with very little shuffling or running down the hills. It was my job to make sure that Janet was drinking enough and I took this job very seriously. I had set my watch to give an alert every 10 minutes to remind her to drink. She did not always listen to me but I told her to be mad at the watch and not me. Every aid station we went into Mike was waiting there for us and checking her bottles to see how much she was drinking. I often heard she was not drinking enough. I joked with Janet that if she did not drink more Mike was going to fire me as her pacer.

I was quite impressed with Janet's perserverance in finishing her race. Her goal was 30 hours and we finished in 31 1/2 hours which was quite an improvement over last years time which had been over the cutoff by about 4 minutes. There was even a few times when Janet would leave the aid station ahead of me and I needed to catch up.

I know that Janet was struggling with stomach issues and actually felt guilty for feeling so well. I was out on the trail for 12:21:06 which was a new time record for me. I covered a total of 33.79 miles. Not a new distance for me but definitely new time on my feet record. I was definitely exhausted after I was finished. I changed and sat at the finish line watching other runners finish their races and once I sat down I got tired immediately. Had to take a nap in the minivan before driving home as I was afraid the drive home would put me to sleep. All in all I had a great time pacing and would definitely consider pacing more in the future. It is good practice for me to help someone else achieve their goals and do something that is not "all about me".

Garmin Stats:
Miles: 33.79
Time: 12:21:06
Elevation Gain: 4,870
Avg Pace: 21:56
Moving time: 11:18:54
Avg. moving pace: 20:05
Calories: 2, 569


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anna turns 36! Fun Triathlon

Saturday, July 28, 2018 Perch Lake Hudson, WI My First (sort of) Triathlon So I thought I needed to try something different today...