September 14, 2014

Race #12/17 Harmon Farms Trail Race


2bc5983c-c5ad-4ca9-a401-d91480b90c05
This was race #12 of the 17 Trail series races and I was grateful that it was just 5 miles. Just a week after completing the Moose Mountain Marathon I was looking forward to an easier distance. I think I went into this race with the wrong attitude as I was not worried about the race but at the same time I was not excited about running it either. The single track trail is actually a great trail to run. The race is a low key local race with small attendance and the hills are pretty much non-existent. Just some very gentle rolling hills.

My goal for this race was to run an average of 11 min. miles or finish within 55 minutes. I was not looking to try to PR this race or push myself too greatly. This was more like a recovery race. I think the 16.5 miles I ran out on the Ice Age Trail yesterday affected how I felt during this race.I also overdressed for this race and should have worn a short sleeve shirt. It was warmer than yesterday and I think I struggled with being too hot and not being able to fix it. This sapped my energy noticeably.

At about 4 miles in the first 10 miler passed me by. He was cruising and it was refreshing to hear him groaning as he ran by. I don't know why but I took comfort in knowing that these speed demons are really pushing themselves to be so fast. I guess it is knowing that there quick pace is not effortless. I was only passed by two 10 milers (remember I was only running one loop which was 5 miles).

I finished in 56.07 according to my Garmin. Just a little over my goal but I am still happy with this finish. I have not checked out the official results yet as I don't believe they have been posted. 

I did not carry my phone with me so was unable to get pictures of the trail but it had sections of open running on single track dirt and then sections on single track in the woods. There was sand on sections of the trail and loose rocks with some roots on others. Not a very technical trail but really more of a single track bike trail. The race directors were even kind enough to spray paint white the big roots/rocks on the trail for us.


 
Very pretty skies driving to the race.
Nora, Melissa and I waiting for the start. Cooler morning so I kept the sweatshirt on as long as I could. I am not used to the colder temperatures yet and this time of the year is always tough to dress for.
Nice Race shirt that will get used on many fall training runs!
Race number with the race shirt. No finisher awards for this small local race, which is just fine with me.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Anna turns 36! Fun Triathlon

Saturday, July 28, 2018 Perch Lake Hudson, WI My First (sort of) Triathlon So I thought I needed to try something different today...