May 6, 2014

Race #3/17 7@7 Trail Race

After the anxiety and anticipation of my last 50k race going into this race was much less stressful. I saw this race as mostly a fun run on a new trail and I was looking forward to an easy race.

This race was held at Seven Mile Creek Park between Mankato and St. Peter, MN. It was a 2 hour drive for me so not a very close race. With a later start at 9 am I did not have to get up super early which was nice.

Upon arriving at the park I picked up my race packet and started looking for the friends that would be running the race. Nora had brought the UMTR banner to get a picture and I figured with a similar pace Kelly and I would run the race together.

This race advertises itself as a hilly challenging course. I studied the elevation chart before the race so knew there would be 4 major hills.

My Garmin Elevation Chart

Without elevation markings it was hard to determine just how steep the hills really were
We started the race and ran out towards the highway to hit the trail. The first hill was right after we turned onto the trail. I know better than to make judgements about the course but after tackling that first hill I told Kelly "was that the first hill? That was nothing." I would soon be eating my words.

Kelly and I kept a pretty good pace and at times were running 10 1/2 minute miles. It took about 2 miles for my calves to loosen up and my ankles to quit hurting. At one point I told Kelly that she was a hard task master and she said she was trying to keep up with me. It seems we were both thinking the other was pushing the pace. Funny how that happens when you run together. We walked a few of the small hills but otherwise ran for quite awhile. There were several water stops on the trail (more than were necessary) but I wore my Jurek waist belt so did not stop at any of the aid stations. It was my goal to see if I could get this race done in the shortest amount of time possible. This race also included a stream crossing that could not be avoided. It was fun to run through it even if my socks and shoes were wet for the rest of the race.

The second hill was also moderate but the third and fourth hill were long and steep. After power walking the third hill you ran a loop at the top and then descended the same hill. This was also true for the fourth and final hill. These two hills were long and quite steep and were definitely hills for walking. As I ascended these hills I made it my goal to power walk them and not to stop to rest until I got to the top and then I walked until I could catch my breath to start running again.

Somewhere along the way I had decided that I would try to beat Kelly to the finish line. We are in the same age bracket of the race series and I had decided I wanted to try my hardest to come in ahead of those I knew to be in the trail series (it turns out that Erica, whom I thought was in my age bracket is actually not).  I pulled out ahead of Kelly a little before the fourth hill and wanted to stay ahead of her both going up and coming down the hill. I managed to stay ahead (just barely). With only about a half mile to go I picked up my pace to try to get ahead. I figured she would be doing the same. As I rounded the last corner and off the bridge I totally expected her to come flying by me. This never happened. As I came up to the finish line I saw the timer said 1:23:17. I sprinted into the finish to try to make it in under the 1:24. My official time in the results shows 1:24 with a pace of 12 minutes miles. I had come in before Kelly and was very pleased with myself.  Overall I am very pleased with how well this race went.
At Kelly's suggestion we snapped this picture at the finish line.

Race number with the tech shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anna turns 36! Fun Triathlon

Saturday, July 28, 2018 Perch Lake Hudson, WI My First (sort of) Triathlon So I thought I needed to try something different today...